By submitting a completed Application Form, and clicking to agree to these Terms and Conditions for the Discover the Unexpected National Newspaper Publishers’ Association (“Sponsor”) 2018 Fellowship (the “Fellowship”), you acknowledge your understanding of and agreement to the following Terms and Conditions:
- APPLICATION PERIOD. Applications must be submitted by 10:59pm EST on April 30, 2018 by following the instructions on the Application Form. Sponsor is not responsible for late or incomplete applications or for technical difficulties with the application process.
- ELIGIBILITY. Open to current undergraduate students of historically black colleges and universities who are US residents or who have proper visa status to accept the Fellowship between the ages of 18 (19 if residing in Alabama) and 22 and who complete the application process. Applicants hereby warrant and represent that all aspects of their application is truthful and accurate. Applicants agree that all statements made are open to investigation and verification by the Sponsor and that if any information given is found to be false or misleading applicant may be disqualified from consideration or dismissed from an awarded Fellowship at any time.
- Selected Fellows will be considered temporary contractors of Sponsor. Fellows will be required to fill out a W-9 tax form as part of the Fellowship. Scholarship and stipend monetary awards associated with the Fellowshipare for the full amount and taxes will not be withheld. Fellows will receive a 1099 tax form and the Fellow is responsible for payment of any and all applicable taxes. Fellow hereby agrees to hold Sponsor harmless from and against any liability related to not withholding any amount from the scholarship and stipend provided. All tax payments are the responsibility of the Fellow. Applicants and Fellows agree that no employment relationship exists or will be deemed to exist between Fellow and Sponsor.
- STIPEND/SCHOLARSHIP. Fellows will receive a $5,000 stipend, which will be paid $2500 by June 1, 2018 and $2,500 by June 29, 2018 by check. The scholarship of $10,000 will be paid after successful completion of the eight (8) week Fellowship, by check. The Scholarship can be used to pay tuition or education loans. In the even that a Fellow does not complete the Fellowship for any reason, no additional stipend or scholarship payments will be made and will be forfeited.
- VIDEO CONTENT RELEASE. Fellows agree that they will create videos and social posts related to the Fellowship, which will include the Fellow’s name, image, performance, voice and other content created by the Fellow for use after approval by Sponsor on the Fellow’s personal social media channels, and in materials created by the Sponsors and their agents (collectively, the “Released Materials”). The Fellow hereby consents to the use and re-use of the Released Materials by Sponsor and Chevrolet and their agents and assigns (“Releasees”), without limitation as to manner, duration or frequency of use, in perpetuity, including the right to edit, modify and revise the Released Materials as they see fit for use in any manner whatsoever, without limitation, including for advertising and marketing use. The Fellow hereby transfers ownership of the Released Materials to Sponsor. Fellow agrees to upload all Released Materials to FrameIO as instructed by Sponsor for approval prior to posting any such Released Materials.
Fellow hereby waives to the fullest extent possible by law any causes of action in law or equity he or she may have or may hereafter acquire against the Releasees for libel, slander, invasion of privacy, copyright or trademark violation, right of publicity, or false light arising out of or in connection with the utilization by the Releasees of the Released Materials. Fellow expressly stipulates that the Releasees may utilize the Released Subject Matter or not as they choose in their sole discretion without affecting the validity of this Release.
- RELEASE. By accepting a Fellowship, the Fellow hereby agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless Releasees from and against any damages, costs, suits, liability of any nature, related to the Fellow’s participation in the application process or, if selected, in the Fellowship, including, without limitation, any injury, including death, related to participation in the road trip or related to the use of the Released Materials, even if caused by or related to the negligence of Releasees.
- DISPUTES. Except where prohibited, Sponsor reserves the right to make all decisions in its sole discretion arising out of or relating to the Fellowship, and the decisions by Sponsor are final and binding on all matters relating to the Fellowship. Except where prohibited, applicants and Fellows agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims or causes of acting arising out of, or connected with the Fellowship shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the District of Columbia; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participation in the Fellowship, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) notwithstanding the foregoing, applicants and Fellows waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct or indirect damages. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Fellowship, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the United States of America and the District of Columbia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the laws of the District of Columbia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than District of Columbia
- SPONSOR: NNPA, 1816 12th NW, Washington, D.C. 20009.